Three-Day Immersive PerformancE Intensive
W/ Marissa Nielsen-Pincus
Friday–Sunday, August 2–4 | 10:30am–5:30pm
at Town Stages
Led by Marissa Nielsen-Pincus, Third Rail Projects Associate Artistic Director, this three-day intensive offers a comprehensive exploration of Third Rail’s approach and methodology for working in non-traditional theater formats, where the audience and the performers are not separated by a fourth wall.
This Immersive Theater Intensive will cover topics including:
• Developing presence and clarity as a performer when performing for 1, 10 or 1000
• Responding and adapting to the changing landscape of an active audience
• Generative game play for creating immersive scenes
• Establishing a connection with audience members
• Spontaneous and intuitive decision-making in immersive performance
• Use of space and intuitive cueing of audience in immersive settings
This intensive blends concentrated work time with ample time for questions and discourse. The workshop will culminate in a collaborative exercise where participants craft immersive experiences for each other, providing an opportunity to employ all of the skills that are presented over the three days.
Performance Practice/Practice Performing
W/ Edward Rice
Saturday, September 28, 2019 | 11:00am–2:00pm
at Kingsland Ward
While site specific and immersive works can have a wide range of aesthetics, they all require a physical rigor. As performer, you are asked to maintain consistent performances while your internal state changes from day-to-day, or even hour-to-hour. This workshop will use a guided long-form improvised structure to simulate the experience of performing a two-hour show. Through this we will explore how to sustain the performance of these types of works. Previously attending a TRP workshop is not required, but this workshop is an excellent chance to apply some of those skills.